United Way of Wilkes County is seeking an Executive Director. This person must be an organizational leader who is a great communicator, successful fundraiser, who can multi-task, manage people, is creative, and ends-orientated. The Executive Director must be able to provide strategic, collaborative leadership. United Way of Wilkes has been serving Wilkes residents for 75 years and acts as a catalyst for collaboration to create positive change in the community. The organization connects individuals, businesses, and other partners to promote self-sufficiency and to reduce poverty in Wilkes County.
Job Description for Executive Director
The Executive Director serves as the general manager appointed and employed by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director administers, coordinates, and directs the organization’s operations. Within the framework of the organization’s policies and by-laws, the Executive Director has the authority to take necessary action to direct the day-to-day operations of United Way of Wilkes County, to implement the policies of the Board of Directors, and to perform the responsibilities of the job. The Executive Director, in conjunction with the Board of Directors, represents and promotes United Way to the community.
Specific Areas of Accountability
I. Leadership and Financial Management
· Assist in developing, implementing, and maintaining a process for establishing the strategic direction of the United Way using long-term planning and measurable goals.
· Oversees the financial operations of the organization through adherence to budgets as well as monitoring expenses and investments.
· Works closely with the bookkeeper and Treasurer.
· Develop and implement “year-round” resource development strategies that include a schedule and process for goal achievement.
· Organizes a kick-off event for the month prior to the start of the campaign (October).
· Creates new campaign materials each year for the annual Fall campaign (November 1st through January 31st).
III. Fund Distribution
· Collaborates with the part time UW staff to build a panel of community
members to serve on the Fund Distribution committee.
· Works closely with the Fund Distribution Co-Chairs to schedule meetings and grant reviews.
· Schedules grant reviews with the applying agencies.
· Maintains a community partner/program grant funding application, evaluation criteria, and fund distribution process.
IV. Community Relations
· Develop appropriate partnerships with funded and potential community partners including civic clubs, community foundations, chambers of commerce, local governments, media, and health and human service organizations.
V. Board and Volunteer Relations
· Develop and enhance positive relationships and communications with existing and potential Board members as well as community volunteers.
· Develop appropriate training and support for these groups.
VI. Marketing and Communications
· Develop and maintain a year-round marketing and communications strategy to promote the value of The United Way, to include all social media outlets, local newspapers and radio stations.
· Enhance and develop positive relationships and communications with existing and potential donors.
VII. Human Resources
· Recruit, select, supervise, and retain staff as necessary.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on public speaking.
· High level of discretion, integrity, and accountability.
· Fundraising experience is required, prefer working knowledge of the not-for-profit sector.
· Ability to multitask and work within guidelines.
· Ability to write grants.
· Data entry skill required (for accurate entry of pledges received during fundraising campaign).
· Excellent computer skills with experience in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook 365 mail, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
· Availability to work nights and weekends when necessary.
· Oversee and manage the Emergency Food and Shelter Program.
· Oversee and manage (with assistance from the postmaster) the Postal Food Drive held annually in May.
· Attend all committee meetings and take minutes, transcribe, and email to members.
Classification: Salaried, exempt employee
Salary: Commensurate with experience
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employee(s) assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. The right is reserved to revise or change job duties as the need arises. The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
United Way of Wilkes County is an equal opportunity employer.
If interested in applying for this position please forward your cover letter and resume to